To soar or not to soar – that is your choice! If flight is your fancy, Vancouver Island is your destination. Glide solo or fly in tandem on your first day as you launch off precipitous cliffs and summits.
Whether experienced or under instruction, confident or anxious, be sure to bask in our glorious aerial panoramas before gently touching down in one of the island’s pretty valleys.
The popularity of these sports has grown significantly in recent times, with paragliding now more popular than hanggliding on Vancouver Island. Vancouver Island is unique in having the only ridge-soaring paragliding site within a city itself, let alone the capital of the province. The cliffs along Dallas Road provide excellent paragliding just a few minutes from Downtown Victoria, with great spectator value.
- Dallas Road, Victoria: East of Cook Street – Coastal site offering ridge flying.
- Mt. Prevost, Cowichan Valley: located 5 miles north of Duncan – Coastal mountain site offering thermal and ridge flying on the west face.
- Malahat, Victoria: 19 miles north of Victoria – Coastal mountain site offering ridge and thermal flying.
- Beaufort Range (Mt. Irwin), Port Alberni: located northeast of Port Alberni – inland mountain site offering ridge and thermal flying.
- Doran Lake, Port Alberni/Sproat Lake: located west of Port Alberni – Mountain site offering thermal flying.
- Bruce Peak, Mount Bruce, Saltspring Island: Overlooking the Fulford Valley – Coastal, mountain site offering ridge and thermal flying.
- Saturna Island: Coastal site offering ridge flying. Please note that this is a club only site, and visiting pilots cannot be accommodated.
- Youbou: West of Lake Cowichan on north shore of Cowichan Lake, above the town of Youbou – Mountain site offering thermal flying.
Clubs and Associations
Vancouver Island Hanggliding & Paragliding Club 250-727-3819